Sunday, January 10, 2010

"We Welcome You as a Member of the Family of Christ"

This morning, we welcomed a new child into the household of God through Holy Baptism. Baptism is my very favorite thing that happens in Church- I never get through one dry-eyed. When we as God’s family welcome the child or adult being baptized into our midst and promise to support them and help them grow in the faith, I am always awed by the gift and the responsibility we are given.

The Christian truth we claim and the Christian discipline we live is a VERY counter-cultural message in our culture. Living as a Christian is not now (and never has been) a job for the faint-hearted. It requires daily practice, constant attention to the Holy Spirit’s directions, Bible reading, a habit of prayer and praise, loving and ethical interactions in our day-today lives, and an abiding sense of whose we are. We cannot do it alone. We need the company of other Christians- and that is why at our baptisms the congregation literally has our backs. The company of God’s faithful people bears witness to us as we make our baptismal promises. It is there to educate and guide us in sermons and through Church School, invites us into service on behalf of others, and while praying with us, teaches us how to pray. This loving community encourages us when we feel defeated, loves us when we fail and shares our hurts and joys. You have heard the saying “It takes a village to raise a child?” Well, it takes a “great cloud of witnesses surrounding us” (Hebrews 2:1) to raise a Christian.

All of this is awesome. But what happens when that brand-new Christian (usually an infant) goes home? For generations upon generations, the home was the principal place where new Christians were made. That is a more than daunting task for many Christian parents. Many of us were raised with no faith or in religious traditions in which we have ceased to believe. The cafeteria of beliefs in the world around us calls out from our televisions, computer, ipods and from neighbors and friends. Just exactly are we to go about the task of raising Christian children at home?

Often the easiest way to begin is to set aside a few minutes at the meal time each day where the entire family is present. You may have to be creative if your family has different start, eating and end times of the day! Find five minutes in the day when you can all be together and PRAY together. In our home, we make sure that we eat together – even if it is snack – every day. This is the prayer we say, “Thank you for this food – for rest and home and all things good. For wind and rain and sun above, and most of all for those we love.” Sometimes we say it in parts, sometimes all together. But it is OUR family prayer. I even have it posted inside on the door of the cupboard where our snacks live – just as a reminder. Some families have more time in the morning or evening. The United Methodist Book of Worship has a section that includes prayers for morning, midday and evening worship beginning on page 568. Take a look through and see what might appeal to your family.

Put a “gratitude” bowl and a “help” bowl on your kitchen table. Invite your kids and spouse and jot down on a small piece of paper things they are thankful for and things they need help with. Collect them each night or once a week when you can be together and read them out loud. Pray together – it could be the Lord’s Prayer or you can simply say, “Lord, hear the thanks and needs of our hearts.”

Bedtimes are another wonderful opportunity to pray together. Is there a bedtime prayer your children already know? You can try, “Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. Guard me, Jesus, through the night and wake me with the morning light.”

One of my most favorite parts of being a parent is blessing my children. I began when they were babies and as I tucked them into their cribs at night, I traced a small cross on their foreheads and said, “the Lord preserve, protect and defend you.” I had no idea how formative or meaningful this experience was for my children until I had been in a car accident. When I came home from the hospital full of painkillers and medicine, as I was drifting off to sleep, my then eight-year-old son crept into the room. Very gently, I felt him trace the cross on my forehead and whisper, “the Lord preserve, protect and defend you, Mama.” He said nothing else, just quietly left the room. It is a joy to bless my children but a gift beyond words or price to receive their blessing of me.

These are just some small suggestions to get you started on making Christians at home. Maybe you have some ways your family practices faith at home. I would LOVE to hear your traditions and rituals. Please consider sharing them via the comments on this blog!

Faithfully,
Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment