Sunday, March 27, 2011

A Prayer for Parents

In the parent group with whom I have been meeting the past few weeks, we have been discussing what it means to be a Christian parent. A great deal is expected of us as Christian parents and we worry whether or not we measure up in passing on the faith to our children. Looking through some old files of mine for something I never did find, I came across this anonymous prayer that I had cut-out and used on a bulletin board many years ago. It still speaks volumes to God about what is in our hearts as parents and so I share it here:
Oh Heavenly Father, make me a better parent.

Teach me to understand my children, to listen patiently to what they have to say,

and to answer their questions kindly.

Keep me from interrupting them or contradicting them.

Forbid that I should ever laugh at their mistakes,

or result to shame and ridicule when they displease me.

May I never punish them for my own selfish satisfaction or to show my power.

Let me not tempt my child to steal or lie.

Guide me hour by hour that I may demonstrate by all I say and do

that honesty produces happiness.

Reduce, I pray, the meaness in me.

When I am out of sorts, help me to hold my tongue.

May I ever be mindful that my children are children

and I should not expect of them the judgment of adults.

Let me not rob them of the opportunity to wait on themselves and make decisions.

Bless me with the bigness to grant all their reasonable requests

and the courage to deny them privileges I know will do them harm.

Make me fair and just and kind.

And fit me, O Lord, to be loved and respected and imitated by my children.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment